Winkleigh Community Centre is 130 years old, being built in 1876 as a Board School. The land was purchased from Mr Tremayne for £20 in 1874. It ran as a Board School until September 1903 when, due to the Balfour education act of 1902, the local authority took over the schooling of children. In 1973 a new school was built on the edge of the village and the old School became a Community Centre.
The Grade II listed building is stone built, Victorian Gothic in design and retains many of its original features. It borders a conservation area and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The building was acquired from Devon County Council in April 2011 by Winkleigh Community Assets Trust, a charitable company created for the purpose.
The Management Board comprises:
Chairman – Mr P D Stutt
Secretary – Mr A H Mulcahy
Treasurer – Mr J Ellerker
Board Members – Mr P J Tarry
Bookings Secretary – Ms S Flower